Blizzard new expansion will be named “Journey to Un’Goro”, themed around Un’Goro – a prehistoric region that is filled with exotic plant life and even more exotic creatures.
There’s a lot of information going around in the first few days of announcement, and we have broken it down into bite-size material for you.
Legendary spells will be introduced as “Quests” in Journey to Un’Goro. Some special features of “Quests”:
- Will always appear in your starting hand. I guess you can have the choice to mulligan it away
- Once played, it will appear on your hero’s portrait like a secret – except it’s displayed to your opponent
- Once you complete the quest, you will earn another card as a reward
New Mechanic: Adapt
It has been a while since Blizzard a new mechanic, the last one being Discover in the League of Explorers expansion. When played, you get to choose 1 out of the 3 options available to upgrade the minion, and there are 10 options in total.
- Crackling Shield – grants Divine Shield
- Flaming Claws – grants +3 attack
- Lightning Speed – grants Windfury
- Liquid Membrane – grants minion can’t be targeted by spells or Hero Powers
- Living Spores – grants “Deathrattle: Summon two 1/1 plants”
- Massive – grants Taunt
- Poison Spit – grants Poisonous
- Rock Carapace – grants +3 health
- Shrouding Mist – grants Stealth until your next turn
- Volcanic Might – grants +1/+1
The discover mechanic has been hailed as one of the best mechanic introduced by Blizzard, and it is nice to see Blizzard continuing to explore this option.
New Tribe: Elemental
Blizzard will also be introducing a new tribe: Elemental in this expansion.
On top of the new cards that have the Elemental tribe tagged to them, old cards will also receive the Elemental label.
- Rumbling Elemental
- Fireguard Destroyer
- Ice Rager
- Unbound Elemental
- Magma Rager
- Earth Elemental
- Ragnaros the Firelord
- Baron Geddon
- Ragnaros, Lightlord
- Al’Akir, the Windlord
2017 will also be the Year of the Mammoth (or Sequinox’s year?), and 3 sets will be rotated out in the Standard Mode – Blackrock Mountain, The Grand Tournament and League of Explorers. With 3 sets rotating out, The Journey of Un’Goro has big shoes to fill.
The expansion will be released in early April. More cards will be revealed on March 17. You can pre-order the expansion here.
Image credits: Blizzard